7 of 10
Friendship Firehouse and The Lyceum
The Lyceum - Alexandria's History Museum
Photo Credit: © 2006 George Alexander, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Friendship Firehouse Museum
- Location - 107 South Alfred Street, between King and Prince Streets
- Hours - 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 1 - 4 p.m. Sunday; Closed Monday - Thursday, New Year's Day and Christmas
- Admission - $2
- Telephone - 703-838-3891
Established in 1774, the Friendship Fire Company was Alexandria's first volunteer fire company. The existing building was constructed in 1855, remodeled 16 years later and renovated in 1992. Historic fire-fighting equipment exhibits in the museum includes hand-drawn fire engines, leather water buckets and more. From the outside of the Firehouse, be sure to notice the fireman weathervane.Additional Information
- Friendship Firehouse Museum Web SiteWalking Tour
- From the Firehouse, continue walking south to the end of the block at Prince Street. Turn left (east) and walk two blocks to South Washington Street.
The Lyceum - Alexandria's History Museum (pictured above)
- Location - 201 South Washington Street, on the corner of South Washington and Prince Streets
- Hours - 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 1 - 5 p.m. Sunday; Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas
- Admission - $2
- Telephone - 703-838-4994
Dating back to 1839, the Lyceum is one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in the United States. Originally planned as a hall for lectures, experiments and reading, the Lyceum became Alexandria's History Museum in 1985. Highlights of the collection include antique silver, 19th-century stoneware, furniture and photographs.Additional Information
- The Lyceum Web SiteWalking Tour Directions to Next Stop: Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
- Continue walking east on Prince Street, stopping to take a look at the sculpture of The Confederate Soldier
at South Washington and Prince Streets. Continue on Prince Street four blocks to South Fairfax Street and turn left.