A Holiday Tradition at the Omni Grove Park Inn:
The National Gingerbread House Competition is an annual holiday tradition at the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa in Asheville, North Carolina. The official competition is held in November, attracting close to 400 entries each year with more than 3000 entries from 26 states since 1993. Entries are judged on overall appearance, originality and creativity, difficulty, precision, and consistency of theme. Except for the base, the entries must be constructed of edible materials.
Categories of Entries:
Four categories are judged — categories and ages are subject to change:
- Adult - Ages 18 and over entering as a single entrant or a team
- Teen - Ages 13 to 17 entering as a single entrant or a team
- Youth - Ages 9 to 12 entering as a single entrant or a team
- Child - Ages 5 to 8 entering as a single entrant or a team
Dates for the 2013 National Gingerbread House Competition:
Dates for the 21st Annual National Gingerbread House Competition and Display are:
- Entries - Signed and completed entry forms, description and/or photos must be received by fax or mail prior to 5 p.m. on Monday, November 11, 2013. Entries that are not pre-registered will not be accepted.
- Competition - The 2013 National Gingerbread House Competition judging will take place on Monday, November 18, 2013.
- Display - The gingerbread houses will be on display from November 20, 2013 through January 2, 2014.
Enjoy photographs of some of the winning entries:
Viewing the Gingerbread Creations:
After the final judging and awards ceremony, many of the fanciful and unique entries remain on display at the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort for hotel guests and public viewing through early January. Non-resort guests may view the displays on Sundays through Thursdays only excluding holidays. There is no charge to view the competition; however, drive-on visitors to the resort will be charged a parking fee, which begins at $10 per car.
Note: Vehicles larger than an eight-passenger personal vehicles must make parking reservations with the resort's security department and group viewing dates are subject to availability.
For several years, it has been a tradition to transport the winning Gingerbread House and a selection of other entries to various venues for publicity purposes, frequently during the seven days before and after Christmas. If you are hoping to see the winning masterpiece during your visit, be sure to check the publicity schedule in order to avoid disappointment.
For additional information about entering the competition, viewing the Gingerbread House display or booking resort packages visit the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa Website.