From wonderful holiday entertainment to great shopping, dining and special events for all ages, Myrtle Beach is a festive destination for a holiday day trip or getaway. While the winter ocean temperatures are too cold for swimming, it is not unusual to have crisp sunny days for enjoying walks on the beach and boardwalk. Or, you may experience a rare coastal snowfall. Winter sunrises and sunsets along the coast are often memorably brilliant.
Ten Fun Things to See and Do in Myrtle Beach and Along the Grand Strand During the 2013 Holiday Season:
- Broadway at the Beach: With close to 20 popular Myrtle Beach attractions and theaters, over 100 specialty shops and boutiques, plus over 20 restaurants and nightclubs, Broadway at the Beach is a festive and lively place to visit throughout the holiday season. Special holiday events for 2013 include the annual tree lighting ceremony (pictured above) featuring live entertainment, mascot appearances and other surprises on November 23 at 6 p.m. and the annual holiday parade including marching bands, classic cars, mascots, Santa Claus and more, beginning at 11 a.m. on December 7.
- Myrtle Beach Holiday Shows: Known for great year round live entertainment, several Myrtle Beach theaters present seasonal holiday-themed shows throughout November and December. From a holiday ice show to musical variety shows, family friendly live entertainment is a fun way for visitors of all ages to get into the spirit of the season. A few popular year round shows are presented during the holidays as well.
- Brookgreen Gardens - Nights of a Thousand Candles: Located about 15 miles south of Myrtle Beach, Brookgreen Gardens is a National Historic Landmark garden museum, featuring several display gardens and a highly esteemed sculpture collection. Each year during the holiday season, Nights of a Thousand Candles takes place at Brookgreen Gardens on select evenings. During this lovely event, more than 5,500 candles together with twinkling white lights illuminate the garden areas, while cups of warm cider, hand bell choirs, carolers and an array of musicians add to the enchanting holiday ambiance. Nights of a Thousand Candles 2013 takes place December 5 - 7, 12 - 14 and 19 - 21 from 3 p.m. until 10 p.m.
- Shadrack's Christmas Wonderland: Head to Pelican's Ballpark in Myrtle Beach for a festive drive through this dazzling LED Christmas light and music show. Visit Santa's Village for photos with Santa, concessions selling seasonal treat and more. This event opens November 8, 2013 and continues through January 5, 2014 from dusk to 10 p.m. or later on weekends, including holidays.
- Ripley's Aquarium Festival of Trees: Celebrating the great diversity of the United States, the annual Festival of Trees features more than 50 trees displayed throughout the aquarium and a 20 foot tall, red, white and blue tree in the outside plaza. This seasonal display may be viewed starting November 7, 2013 through December and is included with regular aquarium admission.