Luxury resorts in the Southeast United States are plentiful and unique, each with its own style of impeccable service, elegant surroundings, recreational amenities and superb dining. This list highlights several all season luxury resorts, which appeal equally to couples looking for a romantic retreat and families in search of an ultra deluxe getaway for all ages. The resorts are listed alphabetically and are not ranked by preference.
White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
- Located in the lush Allegheny Mountains, this is one of three properties to have earned the AAA Five Diamond award for more than 30 consecutive years. A National Historic Landmark, the resort is famous for its classic architecture, landscaped grounds and outstanding service.
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Considered to be one of the best destinations for both romance and family vacations, this AAA Five Diamond luxury oceanfront resort is located on a pristine barrier island near Charleston. Amenities and activities include swimming, five championship golf courses, world class tennis facilities, canoeing, kayaking, bicycling, cookouts, oyster roasts, nature walks and more. The garden designed spa offers luxurious ocean inspired treatments and separate adult and family swimming pools overlook the Atlantic Ocean. Programs for children and teens are popular with parents and kids alike.
- Located on Georgia's second largest lake, Lake Oconee, Reynolds Plantation Lake Oconee features 99 holes of championship golf, fishing, boating, swimming and water skiing on the lake, a world class spa, bicycle rentals and a cozy nightly campfire, complete with complimentary s'mores. This Ritz-Carton AAA Five Diamond Award resort is a great choice for both romantic and family getaways.
Asheville, North Carolina
- The Inn on Biltmore Estate offers luxurious accommodations and attentive hospitality combined with outdoor activities galore on the 8000 acres of the Biltmore Estate. Activity choices include float trips, carriage rides, horseback riding, off-road Land Rover adventures, kayaking, fishing, hiking, seasonal activities and more. A shuttle runs between the Inn and the Biltmore Mansion for easy access to America's largest house.
Sea Island, Georgia
- A private coastal Georgia resort island, Sea Island, located halfway between Savannah, Georgia and Jacksonville, Florida, enjoys mild year-round temperatures averaging 65-89 degrees Fahrenheit. Accommodations include The Cloister at Sea Island, The Lodge at Sea Island and cottage rentals. Dining ranges from formal to casual in a variety of on-site restaurants. Three 18-hole championship golf courses, state-of-the-art tennis courts, spa and fitness services, riding stables and a beach club provide many options for activities. Supervised activities for children and teens are offered year-round.
Asheville, North Carolina
- The historic Omni Grove Park Inn is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, just 1.5 miles to the center of Asheville. Great for couples, families or groups, the inn offers a number of activities including golf, tennis, swimming, fitness classes, luxurious spa treatments and much more.
Village of Pinehurst, North Carolina
- World renowned for its eight world-class golf courses and Golf Advantage School, this historic resort offers more than just an unparalleled golf vacation. Other recreational pursuits and amenities include tennis and lawn sports, a lakeside beach club and swimming pools, fishing, special family activities and a Kids Club. The resort spa menu includes more than 40 treatments, many utilizing such soothing delights as magnolia, holly berry, pine and peach extracts.
- This elegant 65-room mountain resort lies in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Many of the luxurious accommodations feature antiques, fireplaces and verandas. Included among the many available activities are hiking, canoeing, croquet, tennis, mountain biking, seasonal outdoor swimming, culinary sessions and more.
Hot Springs, Virginia
- A premier luxury resort located in the picturesque Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia, The Homestead offers year round activities in a tranquil setting for romantic getaways as well as family vacations. A National Historic Landmark, The Homestead was founded in 1766, ten years before the American Revolution. Most rooms at the resort have mountain views and the resort spa is fed by the area's hot mineral rich springs.
Little St. Simons Island, Georgia
- This idyllic lodge complex offers charmingly rustic accommodations in a naturally splendid setting on a private island. Recreational amenities include seven miles of private beaches, more than 20 miles of paths for exploring, canoeing, boating, kayaking and fishing, guided environmental tours, birding, horseback riding and an outdoor swimming pool. The island is accessible only by boat and rooms do not have telephones or televisions. This unique lodge offers an amazing exploration of nature for couples, families and groups. Groups of up to 30 can even reserve the entire island.
Visit this Top Hotels and Resorts
round up to find out about many other top of the line accommodations throughout the Southeast.