Enjoy a river tour or dining cruise on the mighty Potomac by day or by night under the stars with the beautiful monuments of the nation's capital or picturesque harbor scenes and historic buildings as a backdrop. Families with young children may opt for a fun pirate cruise complete with cool goodie bags, while dog lovers may choose a unique seasonal canine cruise with a special four-legged friend.
Public and Charter Cruises
- Potomac Riverboat Company - With a fleet of seven vessels including a replica 19th century Victorian riverboat, Potomac Riverboat Company offers sightseeing cruises, special event cruises, private charters and water taxis. Water taxis and tours are available in both directions between Alexandria and George Washington's Mount Vernon, National Harbor and Georgetown's Washington Harbour in Washington, D.C. Round-trip and one-way options are available.
Popular cruises to and from Georgetown, each lasting about 45 minutes, include daytime tours, as well as picturesque sunset and moonlight cruises when the illuminated monuments of the nation's capital are especially striking. Another popular cruise follows a picturesque river route to historic Mount Vernon Estate, George Washington's beloved home. Also from Mount Vernon, land visitors may enjoy short photo cruises for an additional fee.
The convenient water taxi service to National Harbor offers a delightful and hassle-free way to get from Alexandria to this riverfront mixed-use development, featuring restaurants, entertainment, shopping and more. The trip from Alexandria to National Harbor or Gaylord National is a quick 20 minutes.
Seasonal Potomac Riverboat Company cruises, usually offered from late spring to early fall, include 40-minute pirate cruises, with great fun for the little ones as well as kids at heart of all ages. Children on the tour receive pirate themed goodie bags and enjoy hearing pirate lore with a little bit of local history added from kid-friendly pirates. Also seasonal, the unique and ever popular Canine cruises provide a rare chance for a river outing with your favorite pooch, complete with dog treats. Fireworks cruises for events such as the Washington, D.C. Fourth of July Celebration and Alexandria's Annual Birthday Celebration are often scheduled, subject to availability.
Location: Potomac Riverboat Company in Alexandria, Virginia is located at the Alexandria City Marina on the riverfront at Cameron and Union Streets.
Other Destination and Departure Points include: The wharf at George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens; National Harbor / Gaylord National; Washington Harbour at 31st and K Streets in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
For information about schedules, tickets and charters:
Visit - Potomac Riverboat Company's Web Site
Call - Telephone 703-548-9000 or Toll Free: 877-511-2628
- The Dandy and Nina's Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ships - These two fine dining boats offer several year round cruise-dining options and special occasion cruise events, including lunch and brunch cruises, dinner and dancing cruises and special event cruises. Popular holiday cruises are usually offered for Independence Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day and Father's Day.
In addition, these ships are well suited for student cruises, weddings and other special group events. A few popular private and semi-private options include Breakfast at Midnight®, Continental Breakfasts and Midnight Dance Cruises.
Location: Cruises depart from Zero Prince Street on the Alexandria, Virginia waterfront.
For information about schedules, tickets and special cruises:
Visit - Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ships Web Site
Call - Telephone 703-683-6076
- The Potomac Belle - The Potomac Belle is a custom yacht serving personal and corporate needs on the Potomac River for all occasions, including special family events, day or evening river outings, dinner cruises and more.
Location: 1 Cameron Street, Alexandria, Virginia at the Alexandria City docks behind the Torpedo Factory.
For additional information:
Visit - The Potomac Belle Web Site
Call - Telephone 703-868-5566
- Alexandria Hotels - Compare Prices
- Old Town Alexandria Walking Tour
- The Torpedo Factory - Alexandria
- Where to See Washington DC Fourth of July Fireworks in Virginia